Robber Fly
October 8, 2009
I believe this is a robber fly but would like to get your expert opinion. I have not seen one with green eyes.
m zapata
Flower Mound, Denton County, Texas

Hanging Thief

Hanging Thief

Dear m zapata,
Yes, this is a Robber Fly.  We are nearly certain it is a Hanging Thief in the genus Diogmites.  Though it does not look like an exact match, it does resemble Diogmites discolor which is pictured on BugGuide.  We will check with Eric Eaton to see if he can identify the species.  Your photos are stunning and this is an exquisite creature.

Hanging Thief

Hanging Thief

Update from Eric Eaton
No, I don’t know robber flies that well, but if it is not a species of Diogmites then it is certainly a closely-related genus.

2 Responses to Hanging Thief

1. mzapata says:

Thank you for your assistance. The green eyes threw me off. I have not seen one with green eyes. This is a great website. I have always taken insect macro photos. Now I know where I can send a few. Take care.

Your photos are beautiful. Our one request is that when you send images, please confine your submissions to one species per post.