Beetles (?) on grapevine
October 2, 2009
I noticed these colorful guys piled up on the leaf of our wild grape vine this morning (Oct. 2), and would be interested to know what they are and what they might be doing (there’s not a lot of obvious activity). As you can see, they are cherry red on the back with twin black markings. The head and segment closest to the head are glossy black, with black antennae. They are roughly half an inch end-to-end. I don’t recall seeing insects with these markings in the area (Accomack County, Eastern Shore of Virginia) before, and certainly not in a cluster like this. Thanks for your help.
Linda Cuttone
Accomack County, VA (Eastern Shore)

Florida Predatory Stink Bug Nymphs

Florida Predatory Stink Bug Nymphs

Hi Linda,
Despite you writing from Virginia, your bugs are Florida Predatory Stink Bugs, Euthrhynchus floridanus.  BugGuide indicates:  “Predatory on other insects, including caterpillars, beetle. Nymphs, and to some extent, adults, are gregarious, and may attack large prey in groups.
”  The orange and black adults are sometimes called Halloween Bugs since they appear near the end of October.