Euhagena
September 27, 2009
Hi Lisa Anne and Daniel, over the past two weeks I have sporadically been observing a group of these Euhagena nebraskae. The area I’m seeing them is well-known to me and little or none of their reported larval food (Oenothera) grows there. I did follow a female who I believe was ovipositing and collected what may be her egg from an Helianthus she tapped her abdomen against. Am just wondering if any of your readers have had similar observations.
Dwaine
near Casper, WY

Euhagena nebraskae

Euhagena nebraskae

Hi Dwaine,
We can always count on you to provide our website with excellent photos of underrepresented species.  This Clearwing Moth has larvae that are root borers in plants belonging to the primrose family as you have indicated.  Often the larval food plant information posted online is incomplete, and it is possible the Euhagena nebraskae uses plants in the sunflower family when primrose is not available.  We will post your letter and awesome images in the hope that our readership can elaborate on your observations.

Euhagena nebraskae

Euhagena nebraskae

How fortuitous that you were also able to photograph the sexually dimorphic male of the species.  Are you able to clarify that our posting is correct?

Euhagena nebraskae male

Euhagena nebraskae male

One Response to Clearwing Moth: Euhagena nebraskae

1. laura says:

What beautiful photos of this delicate little moth.