Golden Silk Spider from Mexico
September 25, 2009
Hi!
I just moved to a new house and it’s not on downtown so there’s a lot of vegetation and bugs.. I have found lots of this spiders and browsing your site i get to the conlusion that’s a Nephila clavipes, am i right? hehe well, I have my sister and my newborn nephew living with us and i want to know if this spider can be a danger for the little baby.. I never found one of this inside the house, they’re always in their spiderweb and I must say: That’s a strong spiderweb!! … I killed 2 of this on my garden the day I moved in but on an impulse of fear (you know, i’m not familiar with insects)… now.. if they’re not dangerous maybe i can live with that … because a new one showed up today and his web is amazing and I don’t want to kill her (it’s a female, right?) and excuse me for being such a coward, but my sister was very very scared of this
Guillermo Medina
Fortin, Veracruz, Mexico (Gulf of mexico)

Golden Silk Spider

Golden Silk Spider

Hola Guillermo,
Your identification is correct, and you have nothing to fear regarding the Golden Silk Spider.  They are harmless to humans, but they will help to control flying insects that might be a problem, like mosquitoes and biting flies.  We would encourage you to educate your sister and to live in harmony with these beautiful spiders.  Yes, their webs are incredibly strong.