Third try for pink/red grasshopper
September 23, 2009
We found this grasshopper inside our WV house in late October– I haven’t found it on your site, or elsewhere, and I think it’s very pretty! Can you help?
Jessica
Morgantown, WV

Smooth Legged Tree Cricket

Two Spotted Tree Cricket

Hi Jessica,
Thanks for your persistence.  We wish we had the time to answer all of our mail, especially since we realize how very important it is to our readership to have their letter recognized and perhaps even posted online.  This appears to be a Smooth Legged Tree Cricket in the genus Neoxabea, the Two Spotted Tree Cricket, Neoxabea bipunctata.  According to BugGuide, your specimen is a male which is described as:  “The male is a paler color — red tinged head and pronotum, pale pink-tinged wings and pale flesh-toned limbs.  The male Neoxabea is the only TC male whose wings wrap down the sides of the body (like those of the female) — Oecanthus species males have paddle-shaped wings that lay atop their body.
”  BugGuide also indicates:  “Males sing mostly at night: a 10-second trill followed by several seconds of silence, then a trill again. After mating, male hangs downward from foliage, allowing female to hang on beneath and dine on secretions from his thorax (1).

Smooth Legged Tree Cricket

Two Spotted Tree Cricket

Thank you so much!  I’m glad my persistence paid off and didn’t come off as pestering.

We appreciate that you actually sent your information as well as attaching the photos on your subsequent submissions.  Often people will just send a followup query with no photos and we cannot take the time to search the mailbox for their original letters.