flying beetle
September 20, 2009
what is this bug
wm in arizona
mesa, az

Surinam Cockroach

Surinam Cockroach

Hi wm in arizona,
This is a Cockroach, and we believe it is the Surinam Cockroach, Pycnoscelus surinamensis, even though BugGuide does not report the species from Arizona.  It is reported in Texas and Florida as well as other southern states.  According to BugGuide, the Surinam Cockroach:  “Reproduces through parthenogenesis in the US, where no males are found. It has two sexes in some parts of the world (Europe and Indo-Malaysia), though. Unlike many roaches, the egg capsule is retained inside the female’s abdomen until young are ready to emerge. Usually described as giving birth to live young, however Modern Pest Services site below seems to show that the egg capsule is ejected from the female.

Surinam Cockroach

Surinam Cockroach

2 Responses to Surinam Cockroach

1. marianne hopkins says:

the surinman cockroach. got a problem with what you have here. yes, the bug i am infested with here on big island looks exactly like your foto. and i have been researching to identify this pest. BUT, wikipedia when i search surinman cockroach says the female does not fly. Here’s by problem. PLEASE HELP. THE BUG LOOKS LIKE YOUR PICTURE. BUT IT CRAWLS INTO OUR HOUSE FROM ANY OPENING IT CAN FIND. MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN SPENDING WEEKS CAULKING UP ANY OPENINGS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE WALLS BECAUSE THAT’S WHERE THEY COME IN. THE WIKIPEDIA SAYS THEY ARE PLANT EATERS AND DO NOT FLY!. WE DO NOT HAVE PLANTS IN THE HOUSE, AND WE ARE IN A CLEARING IN THE FOREST. OF COURSE WE HAVE SOMETHING LIKE GRASS, BUT WE ARE ON LAVA ROCK. WE HAVE BEEN HERE IN THIS HOUSE FOR 4 YRS. AND JUST THIS WINTER HAVE HAD THE WORST INFESTATION EVER. THEY FLY IN, THEY CRAWL IN. WHEN THEY LANDED ON THE BED LINEN THAT’S WHEN I SAID CAULK THE WALLS. THEY SEEM TO FIND ANY OPENING AND I HAVE BEEN CALLING THEM SNUGGLE BUGS BECAUSE THEY LIKE TO CRAWL INTO THE BATHROOM RUGS. THEY SEEM TO BE NOCTURNAL, BUT OCCASIONALLY I FIND THE COMING ACROSS MY FLOOR IN THE DAY. WHAT CAN WE DO TO RID OURSELVES OF THIS PEST? I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO YOU HAVE

2. marianne hopkins says:

P.S. IT SEEMS TO LIKE THE LIGHT