September 20, 2009
Two days ago, Boris and Media Luna spawned again.  The eggs were laid on the leaf of a new plant I purchased two weeks ago at Pasadena Tropical Imports.  Today the eggs hatched.

Boris and Media Luna Spawn Again

Boris (rear) and Media Luna Spawn Again

This newest spawning seems precarious.  The other fish in the aquarium swim close and are not chased away as when the spawning site is more secluded.  The location is also close to the filter return site and that may result in the small fry being carried away in the stream.

Boris and Media Luna Spawn again

Boris and Media Luna (front) Spawn again

I took 10 Fry to Tropical Imports today and traded them for frozen bloodworms.

Ten Fry taken to Tropical Imports

Ten Fry taken to Tropical Imports

I am catching the 7 week old fry that Lefty and Digitalis spawned on August 1.  The fry have been living with the parents for seven weeks and they are ready to go to the grow out tank since it looks like Digitalis is filling with eggs.  I have captured 20 + 18 + 11 for a total of 49 Fry.

Update
October 2, 2009
Boris and Media Luna’s spawn was moved into the nursery aquarium, and there was a tremendous mortality rate.  Only one youngster is alive.  This is now four spawns in a row that have nearly all  died.  This is quite confusing.  Lefty and Digitalis also spawned, but the eggs grew fungus and there were no hatchlings.  Yesterday, Boris and Media Luna spawned again.