Many-plumed moth
September 18, 2009
this tiny moth was sitting on my computer monitor recently. I took pictures and put two of them on my blog. This morning, I found a blog comment from friend Scrimshaw suggesting that I submit the photo to whatsthatbug. Although whatsthatbug is one of my two favorite bug ID sites, the thought hadn’t occurred to me since I wasn’t looking for an ID of the moth. Needless to say, I’ll share it gladly anyway!
This is only the second time I’ve had this kind of moth in the house. According to bugguide, it belongs with the many-plumed moths. It’s a tiny little thing, barely a half inch from wing tip to wing tip, and at first glance looks like a micro-mini pleated Victorian lace fan.
Vera-Iratwo
Northern Minnesota

Many Plumed Moth

Many Plumed Moth

Hi Vera-Iratwo,
We are also posting the letter we received yesterday from Scrimshaw alerting us to your posting as well as our response to him.  We are very happy you wrote in with your photo as the Many Plumed Moth is such an unusual and lovely moth.  We are also including the higher resolution image that Scrimshaw attached to his email.  BugGuide has considerable information on the Many Plumed Moth family Alucitidae.

Many Plumed MOth
September 17, 2009
Many plumed moth on monitor
Reading a favorite blog, saw this photo of a many plumed moth on blogger’s computer monitor, in MN or thereabouts. Amazing macro photo of creature at
Link: http://ira2.wordpress.com/2009/09/17/pretty-distraction/#comments
Curious to know if her ID is correct, and wish to share Vera-Ira’s cool bug photo with you buglove folks. Since the photo is hers, I will not upload it here.
OK, if you insist…
Scrimshaw
northern plains US

Many Plumed Moth

Many Plumed Moth

Dear Scrimshaw,
We wish the person who took the photo had submitted it.  It is beautiful, but sadly, we cannot ethically post it without her permission.