Laughing Brown Beetle
September 8, 2009
This brown beetle is speckled white and makes a laughing sound while bobbing its head if provoked. All the images are of the same bug. IT doesn’t seem to move around much. I left it on my desk and it was still in the same spot when I came back about 45 minutes later. The antennae are about as long as the body and it rotates them in opposite circles from time to time. The legs end in hook-like “feet” and it is capable of clinging to things very well. Has no problem hanging upside down. Has two ant-like mandibles jutting downward from the base of the head. The white spots on the back appear to be arranged into loose chevrons pointing towards the posterior, there are three in all. There are two symmetric orange/tan spots on the back of the head. Antennae are ro ughly 1.5in in length. Body appox. 7/8th of an inch long 1/4in wide. Head is narrower then the body and about 1/3 of the total length.
Hissing Harry
Lexington, Virginia, USA

Possibly Southern Pine Sawyer

Possibly Southern Pine Sawyer

Dear Hissing Harry,
Your photos lack clarity, but we believe this is one of the Pine Sawyers in the genus Monochamus, possibly the Southern Pine Sawyer, Monochamus titillator.  You can compare your individual to images posted to BugGuide.

Possibly Southern Pine Sawyer

Possibly Southern Pine Sawyer