moth w/blue spots, brown white
September 4, 2009
My friend travels all over colorado and he put this photo up on Facebook of this moth… I haven’t been able to id it… do you know what kind it is?
kellie karley
Colorado

Great Tiger Moth

Great Tiger Moth

Dear Kellie,
This is a Great Tiger Moth, Arctia caja.  Just a few days ago we posted another individual and since BugGuide indicates it is:  “uncommon to rare in North America; European numbers have been declining in recent years” it is hopeful that we are receiving images of this lovely moth that is found in both Europe and the New World.

2 Responses to Great Tiger Moth

1. Kathleen Malley says:

I saw this moth up in Steamboat Springs two weeks ago. Finally looked it up, I have never seen one before. I took several pictures, but hate to admit i do not know how to send them, still trying to get my kids to show me how!

2. Lisa morton says:

I believe I spotted one of these at the loaf and jug gas station in steamboat springs Colorado today at approx 330 pm. I moved it from the pump stand to a clump of spruces. It flew off before I could get a pic