orange beetle with triangle on thorax in an argiope’s web
September 3, 2009
Around noon today, I saw this small beetle get caught in the web of the largest Argiope aurantia spider I’ve ever seen. I live in Fort Pierce, Florida. The beetle has an orange abdomen and legs, but a yellow and black thorax and head. There is a yellow triangle pointing towards the abdomen on its thorax. What could this beetle be? I don’t think I’ve seen one before.
I’ve also included a picture of the spider, in case you want to use it on your site.
Gary
Fort Pierce, FL

Delta Flower Scarab in Orbweaver's web

Delta Flower Scarab in Orbweaver's web

Hi Gary,
This lovely beetle is a Delta Flower Scarab, Trigonopeltastes delta.  The beetle gets its common and scientific name from the shape of the marking on the thorax that resembles the Greek letter delta.   According to BugGuide:  “Adults take pollen and/or nectar. (Possibly eat vegetative parts as well?) Food plants include Goldenrod (Solidago), Feverfew (Parthenium), Coneflower (Echinacea), and Rattlesnake Master (Eryngium yuccafolium).
”  Golden Orbweavers are also called Writing Spiders because of the pattern of the stabilimentum in the web that is believed to help camouflage the spider.  We are quite happy to add your images and letter to our Food Chain pages.

Golden Orbweaver eats Delta Flower Scarab

2 Responses to Delta Flower Scarab caught by Golden Orbweaver

1. ChrisC says:

I’ve got one of these in my front yard. It’s been doing a brisk bug-catching business since it set up shop. Today I find it’s caught a dragonfly in its web. A bug-catcher caught a bug-catcher. Oh, well.

I’ve noticed these spiders will shake their webs if they feel threatened. It can be a tad dizzying to watch.

2. Ms. G in MoTown NC says:

Is this spider poisonous, I have one in my back yard and I just want to make sure it isn’t going to harm my kids.