Unknow mantid species, from western Colorado
September 5, 2009
I found a matid on a camping trip in Colorado. It is not the European mantid and I am having trouble figuring out what species it is. It is about two inches long, brown with grey “spots” and a white and gray spotted stripe down the side of the body on the wings. It is similar in form to the european mantid, but slightly smaller and more slender. I found it in a restroom near Grand Junction, CO, in August.
Alicia
Colorado National Monument

California Mantis we believe

California Mantis we believe

Hi Alicia,
WE believe this is a California Mantis, Stagomantis californica, but we would not rule out the possibility that this is a Slim Mexican Mantis, Oligonicella mexicana.  Perhaps someone with more skill than we have will be able to assist in this ID.

California Mantis we believe

California Mantis we believe

Update from Eric Eaton
September 6, 2009
I agree with all three of your identifications.  Nice work.  The mantis is a male, and extremely pale with few markings, making it a real tough specimen to identify.