what kind of bee is this
August 29, 2009
I would like to know as much info on this cool looking green bee as possible
mike samsel
pompano beach florida

Green Orchid Bee Colony

Green Orchid Bee Colony

Dear Mike,
When we first posted an image of a Green Orchid Bee, Euglossa viridissima, in October 2004, and it created quite a stir.  The species has since become established in Florida, having crossed into the U.S. from Mexico.  The Online article on BioOne entitled ESTABLISHMENT OF THE NEOTROPICAL ORCHID BEE EUGLOSSA VIRIDISSIMA (HYMENOPTERA: APIDAE) IN FLORIDA by Charlotte Skova and Jim Wiley provides a wealth of information.  We are thrilled to get your photos which illustrate the communal nesting habits of the Green Orchid Bee.

Green Orchid Bee Colony

Green Orchid Bee Colony

Update from Eric Eaton
I don’t know if they are nesting, or are seeking minerals in the soil, or just what.  I’d love to see that spectacle myself, though:-)

Location: Florida

6 Responses to Green Orchid Bee

1. bush.danny@gmail.com says:

I have found this bee in my pool in Evans County Ga for the past ten years. They never sting when I pick them up.

2. John Biggers says:

I have three wooden bird houses that have these green bees making hives in. They move unlike a normal honey bee; very quick and appear to move in 90 degree angles! I don’t want to kill them with a spray but my wife is allergic to bee stings. What can I do? should I put a garbage bag over the bird houses and take them out in the woods and drop them off?

3. Valerie says:

John, are you sure it’s a bee? The flight description sou D’s more like a fly. There are quite a few fly varieties that look like bees. They can be differentiated by the head shape & usually the way they fly.

4. Kate says:

I have lots on my Basil in Manatee Co FL
    Defiantly a bee!

5. John says:

These bees are green orchid bees. It is thought they were transported to the States from Mexico by accident. They are not aggressive and only the female can sting. The pics are of male bees collecting fragrances. The males bees have an enlarged section on their hind legs (tibia)and spend most of their time gathering scented oils from various plants and collecting the scents in there hind leg pouches. Then they the attract the female by fanning there wings and spreading the scent into the air.
    Ref.:https://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/MISC/BEES/green_orchid_bee.htm