Colorful Moth
August 28, 2009
What kind of moth is this? I took the picture in August 2008 in northern Utah, Heber City area up on the mountain.
Toby Cramer
Northern Utah, Heber City area

Great Tiger Moth

Great Tiger Moth

Hi Toby,
We don’t get many photos of the Great Tiger Moth, Arctia caja, which is known as the Garden Tiger Moth in Europe.  This is a species that might need conservation since according to BugGuide it is:  “uncommon to rare in North America; European numbers have been declining in recent years
”  BugGuide also indicates:  “This species, formerly common throughout the UK, has steadily declined over the past 20 years, with numbers falling by around 30%. There has been a general movement away from the south and toward the north, with climate change believed to be a contributing factor. Warm, wet winters and warm springs are followed by a decrease in the number of tiger moths the following summer (Conrad et al, 2002).  Arctia caja was a favourite with early European collectors, who selectively bred it to create unusual colours and forms.”

3 Responses to Great Tiger Moth

1. mindygrimaldo says:

hello guy’s
    I’M in oregon state in the city of Lafayette,
    we woke up this morning to a beautiful tiger moth on our back door. I have never seen one before so i looked them up online. I will try to get a photo of it.

2. Lisa Boselli says:

just saw one this past weekend up in Steamboat Springs, CO off the Elk River. ….