Is this a Jewel Beetle?
August 25, 2009
Hi there,
This little guy flew into my house. I took him back out after admiring him a bit but the very next day, there he was again, clinging to the post I hang my purse on. He’s beautiful but I don’t want him to die in here, I’ve put a variety of leaves out for him since he just plain refuses to leave. Is he a Jewel Beetle? Thanks for your help.
Amy
Kaneohe, Hawaii

Jewel Beetle

Jewel Beetle

Hi Amy,
Yes, this is a Jewel Beetle in the family Buprestidae, but we are uncertain of the species. Since it is an island habitat, Hawaii is one of those places where invasive exotic species can displace endemic endangered species, and we are curious to find out what species you have submitted.  Sadly, since we must leave for work, we haven’t the time to research right now.
Judging by her ovipositor, your specimen is a female.

Update: February 16, 2011
Thanks to a comment from wildabug, our incorrectly sexed beetle has been identified as being in the genus
Strigoptera and we located a photo here.

Location: Hawaii

One Response to Jewel Beetle from Hawaii, but what species???

1. wildabug says:

This is almost definitely Strigoptera, probably a male.