Large Green Beetle
August 25, 2009
Hello again. Thank you for your help identifying the interesting insects I find. I love your web page and have managed to identify most of my finds using it and bug guide. This large green beetle almost got squashed as it was sitting on the cement step. I found quite a few green beetles here and on bug guide but none seem to quite match this one. It’s about 1.25 -1.5 inches long. It crawled surprisingly fast up and down my arm as I was trying to take it’s picture. It was also flighted, though it seemed to prefer to walk. The second pic is just for size, my watchband is 1 inch wide where the logo is.
Jess
Rhode Island

Fiery Searcher

Fiery Searcher

Hi Jess,
Your impressive beetle is a Ground Beetle in the genus Calosoma, the Caterpillar Hunters.  The species is Calosoma scrutator, the Fiery Searcher.  You can read more about the Fiery Searcher on BugGuide which states:  “Life cycle is one year, but adults long-lived, reported to live for up to three years. Adults attracted to lights. Eggs are laid singly in soil. Larvae pupate in earthen cells. Adults can overwinter.