Giant Beetle?
August 23, 2009
My husband found this giant beetle as a hitch hiker on his way home from work. He brought it in to me because he knows I like unusual bugs. Its a dark sage green with specks of brown. I thought it might be a type of hercules beetle but the thing doesn’t have any pinchers & a small head. The picture was taken in late spring a few years ago. I love this site by the way. My friends think I’m crazy ‘cuz I don’t kill bugs & I’m female. We’re suppose to run screaming I guess.
Nancy S.
Northeast Tennessee

Female Eastern Hercules Beetle

Female Eastern Hercules Beetle

Hi Nancy,
Congratulations on not being afraid to handle harmless insects.  This is indeed a female Eastern Hercules Beetle, Dynastes tityus.  The larger male has the horns in the family.

One Response to Female Eastern Hercules Beetle

1. Holly says:

So glad you posted this. I lived in Pasco when I was a kid and I saw a huge beetle walk across our driveway. No one believed me when I told them about the size. Now I know what it was. So cool!