Beautiful green moth
August 21, 2009
I found this unusually large moth in July. It was 4 inches from tip to tip with green wings and gold antenna. Unfortunately, it was barely alive and died shortly after.
Peter
Central Virginia

Luna Moth: Dead of Natural Causes

Luna Moth: Dead of Natural Causes

Hi Peter,
This is a Luna Moth, what most people consider to be the most beautiful North American moth.  At any rate, it is the most distinctive North American moth, and is not likely to be confused with any other native species by even the least observant individual.  Luna Moths do not feed as adults and only live a few days, long enough to mate and lay eggs.  Thanks for providing us with a view of the underside of the moth, a vantage we rarely receive.

Luna Moth: Dead of Old Age

Luna Moth: Dead of Old Age

2 Responses to Luna Moth: Dead of Old Age

1. Alfryed says:

I too live in Central Virginia but have seen only one Luna Moth since moving here in 1989. About 4 years ago I was preparing to pump gas and saw the beautiful green moth, that I had seen so frequently during my childhood in Alabama, on the side of the gas pump. I was elated to see, once again, this visitor from my childhood.

2. gregg says:

A buddy of mine showed me a picture of a Luna moth he had snapped with his cell phone. I had never seen one before (New York). Not 10 minutes after seeing that picture on his phone, I see one myself. I saw Alfryed wrote he saw one at a gas station, which is also a strange coincidence as the one I spotted was also at a station, hanging out on the underside of the roof covering the pumps. Maybe these things are attracted to gas stations for one reason or another. It was broad daylight, so I doubt it had anything to do with lighting, unless it was there from the night before.