Moth or ??
August 19, 2009
I found this moth like buy in front of my garage door under where the hallogen light is. Usually I find many lunar moths there but found this today. Approx 3 inches long, narrow moth like bug. Pinchers on the front and antenae above the pinchers.
Do you have any idea what it is? I have searched some moth web sites etc,,,,but cannot find anything similar.
Deb
Central Maine USA

Male Dobsonfly

Male Dobsonfly

Hi Deb,
Now that you know that this is a male Dobsonfly, you should be able to locate a wealth of online information. Female Dobsonflies have much smaller mandibles.   Since we just finished posting some marvelous images of a female Dobsonfly from Peru, we feel compelled to post your photo as well.

45 Responses to Male Dobsonfly

1. shiniq-wa says:

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
    MALE DOBSONFLY HOLY BALLS IN MY MOUTH.

2. randy Hamilton says:

Caught one of these in iowa freaky looking fellow.

3. PeaceWon says:

I found one on my porch last night, in Texas. It is still kind of just hanging out today on the planter. Scared the dog water out of me though last night!!

4. Timothy Beaulieu says:

Just found 3 of them this morning in Greenbush, ME. My skin is still crawling! NASTY!

5. Steven pounds says:

Found one Pittsburgh PA

6. Bunny says:

I live in Texas and I didn’t even know these existed until One landed on me tonight on my shirt. I started freaking out trying to get it off of me and it states stuck and it had to take my husband to wack it off for it to leave. scariest moment of my life!!!

We understand they give off a foul odor as well. Though frightening, male Dobsonflies are perfectly harmless, though one might accidentally fly into a person’s eye, in which case those sabre mandibles might do some serious damage. Larval Hellgrammites and adult female Dobsonflies both have much more practical mandibles, for defense in her case and capturing prey in the larva’s case, and an encounter with a thin skinned person might result in the loss of some blood.

7. Alisa Devenport says:

I’m in east Texas and found one in my front porch this afternoon HOLEEE COW!! Have never seen a big that big in my life. Now I have to use the back door…or sell the house.

8. Janea says:

Just found one on my window at home earlier. When I first had saw it. I was like wat the heck. I had never seen anything like it ever. And everyone I ask here about it in Cuero Texas knows nothing about them as well. Had never seen one.

9. Kelly says:

We found two in Wharton Texas!!? Never seen anything so large for a bug in my life!! What the heck, I looked up this bug, can’t believe this can fly and the Pinchers on this makes me not what to go outside with out a net over me! It said this is not harmful, but I can tell you if this thing flew on me I’d have a heart attack!!

10. Mandy says:

Oh my sweet tea.. found one tonight in Tennessee.. those things are huge. I thought it was a dragon fly till I took his picture and caught those pincers in the flash.. we are not going to be besties for sure!! .. never seen one in Texas tho

11. Rhonda says:

I was vacationing in Bat Cave , North Carolina and moved a chair and there was a bug I had never seen before! Now I know it was a Dobsonfly! Thanks for the great pictures.

12. F. C. says:

Just found one in PA… its huge and alien looking. Um pretty sure I am never going outside again or selling the house.

13. ian says:

Found one in North Carolina 7/3/2017 I’m from Florida and i just had to catch this thing when i saw it flying in the light it looked massive!

14. Michael meabon says:

One tried to dive bomb me in WV. Bloody hell!

15. Paul says:

Found 2 females in Westbrook Maine last night

16. Just found one in Bannockburn Ontario (about 1 hr south of Algonquin Park). Really Ugly.

17. Molly says:

Found one on my sidewalk dying this morning. Eastern central Missouri.

18. Tammy says:

Found one by the front door of our office in Illinois.

19. Amanda says:

Found one on my porch this morning in WV!!! yikes

20. Coyote says:

For no one on a jobsite in STL today. Craziest bug I’ve ever seen.

21. Jenny says:

Found a dead male on the sidewalk in Westminster, MD. Have never seen one before and I’m 58.

22. Big bugs says:

I found one in my mule (work go-cart) down in alabama at work and It was HHUUGGEE

23. Cindy Daro says:

I found a male in Fulton, Mo. today the wings a beautiful.

24. Dena Newville says:

I just found a male Dobsonfly in the cats water dish inside the catio. Don’t know how he got in, but is the biggest flying bug I have ever seen. Eau Claire, WI.

25. Barbara Hughes says:

I found one in Columbus, Oh on my porch last night.

26. Kevin Keaton says:

Found one in Circleville Ohio just a few miles South of Columbus. looks like something from the stone age…

27. Kimberly Johnson says:

I found a male this morning in Muskegon, MI.

28. Jennifer N says:

Saw one at my work today. Nvr seen one before. I’m in Tennessee.

29. KARIM ESTRADA says:

I found one in Valley Forge National Park in PA. Sorry, but is horrible!!! Yikes!!!

30. Miranda says:

Just found one in Goshen Ohio…huge!!

31. Kelly says:

We just found a huge male walking across our porch in SW Ohio. It scared me to death! My husband was fascinated though.

32. Vicki says:

Just saw one today at QT. Biggest bug I’ve ever seen. Stopped me in my tracks. I videotaped it and that’s when i zoomed in and saw those pinchers. Yikes! Creepy bug.

33. Tara Johnston says:

Just had one land on my screen porch. Female. Told my husband not to touch it- of course he goes right to touch it. She is fine. Hanging on screen still in lower position.

34. Tara Johnston says:

I have one on my porch screen. She is just hanging out attracted to the automatic light. I can see her whole body through the screen. James Taylor is playing up the road so maybe she is listening. Berkshires, Ma.

35. Zack says:

I caught one in Oklahoma

36. Blahh says:

I found one in indian trail nc at food lion just now

37. Jellybean says:

Found female flying at Walmart Customers in Ash Flat,Arkansas.

38. Tharon says:

Female, Sterling, VA. At least 3 inches long 😳

39. Barbara Bishop says:

Just found one..male Dobsonfly, very large, in Armstrong County, outside of New Bethlehem, PA.

40. William Gagliardi says:

Found one on front porch door frame. After a valiant battle I destroyed the sucker. Wife still creeped out but I am feeling like “special forces” right now

41. Typhani says:

Just found one hanging outside my window on screen in Baltimore, MD. I just hit the inside of the screen to get him off, didn’t want this big bug inside my home. Really creepy looking.