Black bug with red stripes and small wings
August 17, 2009
I have been seeing this unidentified bug on my walks for the last 3 or 4 years. They are usually walking across the road. The photos were taken in the evening at sundown. The bugs were climbing up to stay in the sun, and on the rocks they were finally being still enough to take good photos. I have not noticed them eating the vegetation. These bugs are as large as I have seen them, about 1 inch long. They drag their long abdomen leaving a very specific track.
The wings are hard, shiny, and dimpled like orange peel; very beetle like, and useless. The head looks like an ant head, without large pincers. I have more pictures if you want them.
What are they?
Rebecca, Cuba, NM
Cuba, New Mexico

Blister Beetle

Blister Beetle

Hi Rebecca,
This is a Blister Beetle in the genus Megetra, and sadly, it has no common name other than the general family name of Blister Beetle.  According to BugGuide:  “Range  Restricted to Chihuahuan Desert of the USA (TX, NM, and extreme southeastern AZ) and Mexico (where most of this desert region is located).”  In the past, we received a submission from Spain that looks very much like the genus Megetra, and is probably in the same tribe, Eupomphini.  You should use caution if handling a Blister Beetle as they can release a compound cantharidin which is a blistering agent.

Blister Beetles

Location: Cuba, New Mexico

21 Responses to Blister Beetle

1. Linda Messmer says:

I was wanting to know if these blister beetles bite humans and what it would look like?
    My husband was in New Mexico this past week and on his arm he has what looks like scratch
    marks. Please respond at the above e-mail address a.s.a.p. I need to know so he can get treatment.
    Thank you!

2. Blister Beetle sighting in NORTHERN Arizona, Chino Valley, elevation approx. 5,000! We have an overnight appearance of half a dozen in the grasses around our livestock pens. High desert, mid-monsoon season.

3. Eric Koenig says:

Saw one of these fellows at the old Fort Wingate Army Depot near Gallup, NM in August

4. Mike says:

I saw one near Navajo Dam in Northern N M last weekend which is why I started looking for NM beetles. Cool! It was very dark red with black stripes.

5. Robin says:

We have an infestation of these beetles in Moriarty, NM.. 45 miles south of Santa Fe, 40 miles east of Albuquerque. First time in 18 years living here that we have seen them.

6. Tammy says:

Just saw a couple of these critter on my walk this morning in Aztec NM.

7. Kyle says:

These are NOT blister beetles…they are very common in New Mexico and as a child we used to play with them all the time, they do not bite or blister….they love sucking the juice from green tumbleweeds, and we used to see hundreds of them all over tumbleweeds patches.

8. Richard street says:

I have just captured five of the blister Beatles in snowflake Arizona dought they are harmless they have a stinger on their rear end and while meowing the lawn

9. Eileen W Davis says:

Just found a beetle at work in pecos, texas. Black ant head and black cone shaped body black with red stripes.

10. Charlie jo says:

I live about 60 miles south of Gallup, NM at about 7,400 elevation. These bugs are very common here. I see them all around my yard late spring to early winter.

11. royanne barringer says:

I just saw one on the Homestake mil site today

12. MuddyT says:

I saw several of these last week at Chaco Canyon and Aztec Ruins

13. Janice says:

Found one 15 miles north of Heber AZ. Approximately 5800 ft elevation.

14. Judy Cousens says:

These were clustered on weeds in Gallup, NM. In Sept.

15. James says:

Found one in my yard in Las Cruces, NM. Beautiful.

16. May says:

Saw one at Hubbell Trading Post in Arizona in September 2007 (have a labeled photo) and “more linebacker beetles” somewhere around Chinle, AZ area. Maybe the Chaco Canyon or Taos area too but my notes aren’t clear for that.

17. B. Gamble says:

I saw this beetle on my way to canyon de Chelly 40 miles east of Kayenta Arizona on Monday September 3 2018. Moving fast probably in NM by now.