I finnally got a chance to see one in REAL LIFE!
August 13, 2009
I never thought I’d ever actually get the chance to see a wheel bug, but I finally did get my chance! How Cool! They are smaller than I pictured. I was in Lake Ozark, MO. THEY WERE EVERYWHERE, ( including on the inside of some muscle-mans shirt. ) ( he freaked out and killed one! I wasn’t happy about that, but my mouth is too big for CPR! ; P
Sherri
Lake Ozark, MO

Wheel Bug

Wheel Bug

Hi Sherri,
We are thrilled to hear that a Wheel Bug sighting made such a big impression on you.  Your muscle man story reminds us of the old header we had on our Unnecessary Carnage page when we used Dreamweaver to post information to our website, prior to our site migration.  We are working with our web master to get this introduction as a header on the Unnecessary Carnage page once again.  Here it is.
Insects are prone to unnecessary slaughter, be it from an overzealous homemaker who doesn’t want to see bugs, or from a strapping he-man who is a closet arachnophobe, or from a youngster who likes to torture. At any rate, we get a goodly amount of photos of poor arthropods whose lives ended prematurely. In an effort to educate, we present Unnecessary Carnage. This page is not intended for the squeamish.