Could this be a water midge?
August 12, 2009
I found this on the inside of my screen door this morning (outside Chicago) and was wondering what it was. It was not very active and took me about 20 minutes to coax it to fly out the door. It measured about 1/2 of an inch long and about 3/4 of an inch side-to-side (I don’t know if those are antennae or not). It appeared brownish in color, though the picture looks a little green. It was the only one I saw so there was no swarm. Do you know what it might be? Thanks.
Like It Bugless Inside
Wheaton, IL

Plume Moth
Plume Moth

Dear Like It Bugless Inside,
We get numerous requests to identify the T-Bug, and it is actually a moth and not a midge.  This is some species of Plume Moth in the family Pterophoridae.  We only rarely attempt a species identification since so many members of the family look so similar to one another.
  You may read more about the family and its members on BugGuide which states:  “A distinctive family of moths, but difficult to identify to genus or species.”