Here’s looking at ya – not
August 12, 2009
Brown with a couple of spots but two big spots looks like eyes. Bottom of him is a green color but what is strange is he has one stinger on his behind area. Looks like it could be a caterpillar but just want to make sure and see if he is poisonous.
Tammy
Meraux, Louisiana

Tersa Sphinx Caterpillar

Tersa Sphinx Caterpillar

Hi Tammy,
This is a Tersa Sphinx Caterpillar, and we just posted a photo of the adult moth about an hour ago.  You are right about the spots as the caterpillar mimics a larger predator, like a snake, which may help prevent it from being eaten by birds or other predators that mistake it for a bigger potential threat.  The stinger is not a stinger, but a caudal horn.  It is not defensive in any way except visually.

One Response to Tersa Sphinx Caterpillar

1. Linda shelby says:

I have seen one of these at my grandmothers house in douglasville, Ga. I tried to keep it in closed to call someone but my mom released it while I was out of the house.