Green Water Beetle?
August 9, 2009
Every year at my cottage me and my friends put together a small aquarium of insects and other animals that we find in our lake. This year we were surprised to catch something none of us had ever seen before. We thought at first that it was a baby Giant Water Beetle, but later on in the trip we caught another one identical to the first in an entirely different part of the lake. This lead us to believe that it was probably something different. I took some pretty good pictures of them before they were released and I was hoping you might be able to help us figure out what they were.
Max
Southern Ontario

Immature Giant Water Bug with Mite

Immature Giant Water Bug with Mite

Dear Max,
This is a Giant Water Bug in the genus Belostoma, and it is an immature specimen.  Mature specimens have wings and can fly.  Most Giant Water Bug images we receive are the much larger members of the genus Lethocerus.  Your one image shows an orange speck on the right hind leg that appears to be a mite.

Immature Giant Water Bug

Immature Giant Water Bug

One Response to Immature Giant Water Bug

1. bmoc says:

Aquatic Hemiptera are often parasitized by larvae of the water mite genus Hydrachna. Species in this genus are unusual in staying attached to the host insect while going through their inactive protonymphal stage. The active, predatory deutonymphs emerge directly from the attached larval skins.