Cicada Killer Wasp
August 9, 2009
Thank you for your very informative website. I recently moved to the country in North Texas and am in awe of the wide variety of insects here. Since I never kill any living thing that is not a threat I have been watching these interesting insects flying around my deck for the past month. However, one of my dogs is a very curious girl and thinks that anything that flies or that she can sniff out and dig up underground is fair game for play and sometimes a meal, I would like to know if these wasps are poisonous? Unfortunately, I can’t always get to her in time to stop her destruction.
Christie
North Texas

Cicada Killer

Cicada Killer

Hi Christie,
Thank you for your inquiry.  Male Cicada Killers are quite territorial, but they are all bluff since they do not possess stingers.  Female Cicada Killers are not aggressive, but they do have stingers and they might sting, though we have never received a substantiated report of a sting.  Female Cicada Killers sting Cicadas, and they cannot be bothered intimidating humans.  Can your dog be stung?  It is possible, but not likely.