Halloween Bug?
August 7, 2009
I went outside to get the mail when I noticed a weird spider-like bug on a bush next to my house. Upon closer inspection I realized that the bug wasn’t a spider (or at least I don’t think it is). It looked similar to a stink bug with very defined orange and black colors. It was able to fly and when I came close to catching it, the bug flew to another side of the bush! Help me out, what kind of bug is this?
Thanks – Joe
Wilmington, NC

Milkweed Assassin Bug

Milkweed Assassin Bug

Dear Joe,
You are probably lucky you did not capture this Milkweed Assassin Bug, Zelus longipes
, unless you were using a net.  The Milkweed Assassin Bug may bit if carelessly handled, and the bite is painful.  Your observation that this Milkweed Assassin Bug resembled a Stink Bug is astute as both are in the same insect order, Hemiptera, but in different families. You may follow this link to BugGuide to read more about the Milkweed Assassin Bug.