Black bug with white wing tips and red body
August 5, 2009
I shot this today, August 5, 2009, at about 6:35pm.
This bug caught my eye, because I’ve never seen anything like it.
I’m located in Tampa, Florida in the 33615 zip code.
The bug was sitting on my wall facing the east.
the wall is made of cinder blocks and it was sitting on one of the creases, so hopefully you can judge the size of it from that.
It is black and has white tips on it’s wings. The front part of it’s body is red and the rest is black to the tail.
It is a beautiful bug.
I’d love to know what type of bug this is, my daughter discovered while playing in the front yard.
Carlos B
Tampa, Fl (33615)

White Tipped Black

White Tipped Black

Hi Carlos,
This Geometrid Moth, Melanchroia chephise,
goes by the very descriptive common name of White Tipped Black.  According to BugGuide, the caterpillar is called a Snowbush Spanworm.

6 Responses to White Tipped Black

1. jack bennett says:

this bug is BAD NEWS. its caterpiller is black & yellow. grow to about an inch long. i have snow on the mountain bushes & they ate ALL of the leaves. i have been fighting them for 3 years. get rid of them!

• Teresa says:

This moth keeps eating the leaves on my snow on the mountain. I put insecticide on the plant to stop the worms but they keep coming back. How do you stop them????. As soon as the leaves start coming back there back

2. Bob Baker says:

Saw this moth at Galveston, Texas, beachfront on 12/2/16. Wonder what they eat at the beach.

3. Susan says:

Smallish looks like a small house fly but has a green nose and white wing tips