Thanks Daniel!
I hope I can catch a midge in action. By the way, the root borer you posted is a Palo Verde beetle (Derobrachus geminatus). We have lot’s of them in Tucson- they’re HUGE, and they’re really active right now, during the monsoon. I like their fancy spiked collars! Here’s another!
Emily

Palo Verde Root Borer

Palo Verde Root Borer

Hi Emily,
Thanks for the suggestion on the Mexican Beetle.  An expert in the genus might be able to say for sure if it is a different species, but we are taking to the opportunity to post your Palo Verde Root Borer, Derobracus hoverei as its own posting.

2 Responses to Palo Verde Root Borer

1. A beetle, in my apt. Bit 2 of my cats tongues. Black, hardshell, didn’t notice any horns. Severe bites, swollen and unable to eat 12 hours now. Are these beetles seasonal and bad in August? Michigan

Palo Verde Root Borers are active from June through August, according to Bugguide. We just noticed you have a second comment that indicates you are in Michigan. The Palo Verde Root Borer is NOT found in Michigan, however, other related Prionid Beetles are found in Michigan. See BugGuide for examples.