Beetle identification
August 3, 2009
Dear Bugman
I found this beetle out side of my workplace, in Winsford (UK).
I have looked around and think it is a fur less Ornate Checkered Beetle .
It was very lethargic, it’s hard shell contained wings, that were jet Black
Can you confirm this please?
Richard Lock
Winsford, UK

Unknown Longicorn from U.K.

Longicorn from U.K.

Dear Richard,
While we cannot confirm the species at this point in time, we can tell you that this is not a Checkered Beetle, but is a Longhorned Borer Beetle or Longicorn in the family Cerambycidae.  We found one Longhorn Beetle page on the Garden Safari website devoted to U.K. Beetles, but your individual is not represented.  We also found a comprehensive Cerambycidae site without thumbnails and our cursory search did not turn up a match.  We believe your beetle must be represented on that site.  If you feel so inspired, and you find your beetle, please let us know.  Meanwhile, perhaps one of our readers will supply an answer.

Comment with identification
This is a Leptura quadrifasciata L. 1758. Formerly known as Strangalia quadrifasciata. By the looks of it it is a male because the tip of female antennae is yellow (last three segments). Males have black antennae. It is a widespreaded and common longhorn, at least in the Northern Europe. You can find them on flowers. In that site what you mentioned that guy is on page
http://www.cerambyx.uochb.cz//lquadri.htm .
By the way sorry for my bad grammar.

2 Responses to Longicorn from U.K.

1. mardikavana says:

By the way sorry for my bad grammar.