Spiral antennae, brown body, yellow fangs, half inch tall
I was outside playing with my kids and happened to glance over at my husband’s truck and saw this bug. I’ve never seen anything like it in my life and I’m very curious to know what it is. I’m not going to lie, I was very afraid to get too close so I am hoping that my picture is clear enough to see details. The bug is probably a half an inch tall, brown with some yellow, and appears to have a hard shell.
Stephanie
Syracuse, New York

Summer Fishfly:  Disembodied Head

Summer Fishfly: Disembodied Head

Hi Stephanie,
This is the disembodied head of a Summer Fishfly, Chauliodes pectinicornis, which may be matched to an image on BugGuide.  The form of the pectinate antennae indicate that this was a male Summer Fishfly.  How it was disembodied is a curious question, and we suspect a predator like a bird or bat made a snack of the nutritious body.  Summer Fishflies have long bodies and an impressive wingspan.  What you saw only represents about 15% to 20% of the entire insect length.