Black bug with red and white spots from South Korea
August 1, 2009
I have already spent countless hours on the web (both Korean and English) trying to figure out what this is when I already am not too fond of looking at bug pictures. It’s a little less than an inch in size and saw them everywhere in a park in Seoul and on hiking trails (still in the middle of Seoul) back in the middle of July. When approached it changes the direction its facing much like a spider and when threatened, it jumps away– pretty far for a little guy. I didn’t get to take a picture, but from the profile its body tilts in a 45 degree angle at rest. Please help me sleep.
Judy
Seoul, South Korea

Lycorma delictula from Korea

Lycorma delictula from Korea

Hi Judy,
Two weeks ago we received some photos of this interesting Fulgorid Hopper,
Lycorma delicatula, and it was Karl who made the identification for us.  Here is the excerpt from that identification.

Another Update from Karl
Unknown Chinese Hemipteran
I dug a little deeper and found an interesting story behind this handsome creature.  The species is Lycorma delictula (Family Fulgoridae : Subfamily Aphaeninae) and it has the erroneous common name White Cicada. Originally from southern China, it has been on the move recently and appears to have made quite a nuisance of itself outside of its natural range, particularly on the Korean Peninsula. I even found one reference in a report on China-Korea trade relations where it was referred to as “adding insult to injury”. It makes a living by sucking tree sap. Regards.
Karl

Goodness– I had a hunch it might not native to Korea since I couldn’t remember seeing them while growing up, even though they seemed to be everywhere this time.  Thank you so much for the identification.
Judy
Thank you so much for identifying this for me so fast.

23 Responses to White Cicada from Korea: Lycorma delicatula

1. Paul Senkans says:

Is this cicada species a periodic one? I first visited Seoul in October 2010 and heard many cicadas. I then visited Seoul in June 2011, May 2013 and September 2014, but did not hear any. I will try Wikipedia next.

The White Cicada is not a true Cicada, but rather a Fulgorid Planthopper, and to the best of our knowledge, it does not make an audible sound. Periodical Cicadas like the 17 Year Cicada are only found in North America.

2. Ronald William Roddy says:

I found one of these at the YMCA in East Greenville Montgomery County PA. Are the a danger to trees or plant life? This is the first time I have ever seen one?

This is a non-native, introduced species that may have a significant negative impact on native and cultivated plants.

3. Savage says:

Just spotted one today in whitehall Pa.
    Creepy little quick things arent they.

4. PC says:

Just took some photos of one on my porch in Downingtown, PA.

5. Shane Darden says:

I found a lot of them just outside Reading PA.
    I would love to know how they were introduced here……….
    And by who???
    How reckless!!!!

6. Tom C says:

How do you remove them?

7. Savage says:

After further looming into and signs posted last year around a camp site-
    These may be called spotted lantern fly.

8. itzladypurple says:

Just now was the second one i have killed within a week and it hopped in the same spot as the last one… On my laptop table.. Idk where they are coming from im assuming my AC and i think their attracted to my lamp on the table. Im in Reading,PA. Its really scaring me the way they hop infront of me on to the table.

9. Samanta says:

Found one in my back yard
    In Allentown p.a.

10. Christopher McDermott says:

I’m having coffee outside my house in King of Prussia Pa ( next door is the mall )….
    I took a video and some shots .
    He was here a minute ago but now has just vanished.
    I wonder if I’ll ever see him again ???
    Looked like someone gave a black bug some nice tattoo work .

11. James Talbot says:

Spotted on deck railing in home within Horsham, Pa. (Talamore golf community)

12. Cynthia says:

I spotted one in marsh creek state park in pa how could I report it?

13. Jeff Rohde says:

Just saw one in Honey Brook, PA, on my cucumber plant. Jumped away quickly when approached. YUK!!