Tiny, spiky bug
This little guy came inside with some flowers and I almost missed him as he was crawling around on my furniture. He was truly minute; my camera didn’t even pick up on him so the picture quality is bad. As a size reference, he literally had to climb up onto the white placemat in the picture. You’ll be happy to know I took his picture and then carefully carried him back outside on a leaf and put him back on the flowers.
As cute as he was, he probably would have been pretty scary looking if he had been bigger. You can see he is covered in spikes and he had a pretty severe proboscis. I don’t even know where to start looking as far as how to identify him. Thank you for you help.
Lisa
East Central Missouri

Assassin Bug Nymph
Assassin Bug Nymph

Hi Lisa,
This is an immature nymph of one of the spiny Assassin Bugs in the genus Sinea that is well represented on BugGuide.  It sounds like you are a gardener, so you will be happy to know that Assassin Bugs are important predators, but they must be handled with caution as they will bite and certain species are reported to have very painful bites.