Giant spider the size of my hand
Hi WTB- My family was heading out to our above ground pool to swim on a VERY hot afternoon- approx 95 degrees F. When my husband noticed a GIANT spider sitting on top of the railing with an egg sack. I think its facinating the kids think its gross 🙂 She wasn’t hurting anything- so I got out my camera got some good pix; and then gently moved her to our wood pile with a stick which she gladly grabbed onto without fighting…. maybe you can tell us what she is.
Sincerely, Amanda and the Weikel family
Collegeville, Pennsylvania

Fishing Spider with Egg Sac

Fishing Spider with Egg Sac

Hi Amanda and Weikel Family,
This Fishing Spider, Dolomedes tenebrosus, is perfectly harmless, though we expect she would try to defend her egg sac if you threatened.  Fishing Spiders are generally found near water and they are capable of diving beneath the surface to escape predators or to hunt prey.  They can catch small fish underwater.  Fishing Spiders carry their egg sacs around in their chelicerae or jaws, as opposed to Wolf Spider that drag the egg sac behind them on a silk thread.  We hope your children learn your tolerance of the lower beasts.