Red-and-black insect, size of grasshopper
I saw this lovely red and black insect swaying around on the top of a flower in a fairly strong wind. Size of a grasshopper, but didn’t seem to be typically grasshopper-y, to my eyes at least. Location was grassland and scrub around clay pit in the Surrey Hills ANOB, time was late afternoon late July.
Louise
Hambledon, Surrey Hills ANOB

Six-Spot Burnet

Six-Spot Burnet

Dear Louise,
We believe your lovely diurnal or day flying moth is the Six-Spot Burnet, Zygaena filipendulae
There is a wonderful website for the identification of UK Moths that has a quick way to reference moths by families, the thumbnail index, and the Six-Spot Burnet was quickly located in the family Zygaenidae, the Leaf Skeletonizer Moths.  According to UK Moths, the Six-Spot Burnet has a “Wingspan 30-38 mm.  This is the commonest of Britain’s day-flying Burnet moths, and is found throughout Britain, with a coastal bias in the North.   Occupying meadows, woodland clearings and sea-cliffs, it flies from June to August.  The larvae feed mainly on bird’s-foot trefoil (Lotus corniculatus). Thanks for educating us today that AONB stands for Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Location: UK