Exiguous scorpion listings
Dear WTB,
There seems to be a mysterious lack of scorpions listed on your site (which is a great site, BTW) so thought I’d make a submission. Not sure of the actual ID but think it is a Hentz Striped Scorpion (Centruroides hentzi). The picture was taken just before I hit it with my shoe. Just joking! Don’t want to end up on your Unnecessary Carnage page. This was found on a coworker’s bedroom wall one night several months ago right under the light switch. It miraculously was not squished, but brought in to us for identification. It is residing in Critter City for the moment until a positive ID can be achieved.
KICA Maint
Kiawah Island, SC

Hentz Striped Scorpion

Hentz Striped Scorpion

Dear KICA Maint,
We agree on two counts.  Yes, there is a noticeable dearth of scorpions on our website.  Perhaps some older postings were lost in the site migration last September.
We cannot recall posting any scorpions since that time.  Part of the problem probably resides with our editing of letters.  Much of our editing is unintentional because we are unable to read all of our mail.  We gravitate to subject lines that catch our attention, and some days we are able to devote more time and post more letters than other days when we are too busy conducting our lives.  On the second count, we agree that this appears to be a Hentz Striped Scorpion, though we are far from experts on the topic.  According to BugGuide, the Hentz Striped Scorpion is found in Florida, Georgia and Alabama.  Your sighting may be normal range expansion since it is not far from the typical range. The genus Centruroides is in the family Buthidae.  Here is what BugGuide has to say about the family:  “The family Buthidae is the largest scorpion family with over 50 genera and over 600 species worldwide.  Of the known 25 (or so) species of dangerous scorpions, only one species is NOT in the family Buthidae (it’s Hemiscorpius lepturus, in the family Hemiscorpiidae, and it has a highly virulent haemotoxin).  Dangerous buthids are in the genera Centruroides (North America and Mexico), Tityus (South America), and Androctonus, Parabuthus, Leiurus, Mesobuthus, and Hottentotta in the Old World.  Oddly, with all the deadly animals in Australia, none of the buthids there are known to be dangerous.”  Thanks for your submission.

Hentz Striped Scorpion

Hentz Striped Scorpion