Tan Cecropia Moth?
I work at a quarry in south central kentucky. Generally finding large silkmoths is relatively easy each year approaching fall. One day there was a large polyphemus male, and the next another smaller moth i initially mistook for a polyphemus. When the wings spread.. well, the rest is history!
I have no idea what kind of moth this is. Its pattern is very similar to a cecropia. This is a small male, its wingspan only about 4 inches or so. Much smaller than previous polyphemus that i’ve found. We have found one large expired ‘black type’ cecropia here. But i’ve never seen one like this. A cousin perhaps?
Thanks for the help!
A Lover of giant silk moths
warren county Kentucky

Tulip Tree Silkmoth

Tulip Tree Silkmoth

Dear Lover,
WE believe this is a Tulip Tree Silkmoth, Callosamia angulifera, and we believe it is a female and not a male based on the coloration and antennae.  You can compare your moth to images posted to BugGuide.