Clusters of tiny striped insects
On a walk with my dog outside my house, she began to sniff the trunk of a tree ~3′ off the ground. I went to investigate and found a series of insect clusters. They were each approximately 1/4″ long and have seemingly long antennae (roughly 2x their length). They didn’t have wings from what I could tell, and had very straight alternating black and yellow striping on their bodies.
The photos I’m attaching are as close as my little point and shoot would allow me to go in macro mode, they’ll require a zoom to see more clearly
Steve
Upstate NY

Barklice

Barklice

Hi Steve,
Despite the name Barklice, and despite the large number on a tree, these Cerastipsocus venosus are benign.  They feed on lichen growing on the tree and are not injurious to the tree.  These are immature nymphs.  Adults have wings.

Barklice

Barklice

Thank you!  I just noticed a very similar submission on your site after doing a simple search for Barklice.
Your knowledge is invaluable.
Thanks again,
Steve Kreis

One Response to Barklice

1. Larry Richardson says:

Very helpful site