Bug love (Boxelder style)
I belive these to be, Boisea trivitata. Having a little fun on my screen. Just outside, is a boxelder tree, where there are thousands more. Can’t tell which is male, and which is female. Can you help?
Terry
Mound, MN

Mating Boxelder Bugs

Mating Boxelder Bugs

Hi Terry,
Thanks for sending us your photo of mating Eastern Boxelder Bugs.  We almost never get submissions from people who know what they are, but rather they want the large congregations of insects in their yards identified.  We are especially fond of some of the alternative names for Eastern Boxelder Bugs, including Democrat Bug, Populist Bug, Politician Bug.  According to BugGuide:  “Apparently these political terms are primarily used in the Central Plains states as I’ve seen references to such from KAN, NEB, & IOWA. “

5 Responses to Mating Eastern Boxelder Bugs

1. tsinche says:

Democrat bug? It doesn’t look like a donky to me. Any idea what this refers to? How it got that name?

2. riverswebb7 says:

Eastern Boxelder Bugs – we got an invasion in our backyard when we bought mulch a few years ago. These things are everywhere out there. It’s great to finally know what they are!!!! Now how do I get rid of them??? Anyone know?

• Joan Van Ry says:

We had humongous boxelder tree that was cut down in our neighborhood and now we have been infested with boxelder bugs. Is there anyway for us to get rid of them.

3. Jo Berry says:

Once they have mated where do the put/plant their eggs? Thanks for giving me the correct name of them.