cicadas are my new best friend
i’ve never seen such a small cicada around here before, but i found this little neocicada hieroglyphica last night under the light by my garage, cornered by two toads who were trying to catch it. it crawled onto my hand and hung on tight for about an hour, any port in a storm i guess. it was a little less than an inch long, and crawled enthusiastically toward the clicking sound of my camera’s focus. i assume it thought my camera was hitting on it. cicadas have a one track mind.
rebekah
summerville, sc

Hieroglyphic Cicada

Hieroglyphic Cicada

Dear Rebekah,
Thanks so much for sending us your wonderful images of a Hieroglyphic Cicada and for providing such an entertaining narrative.  We are linking to the BugGuide information page on Neocicada hieroglyphica.

Hieroglyphic Cicada

Hieroglyphic Cicada

One Response to Hieroglyphic Cicada rescued from Toads

1. TanukiBlue says:

Great story, lovely pictures. I especially like the one of the wee cicada peering curiously at the camera!

Cicadas are probably some of the most adorable insects around, with their wide faces and tiny eyes and inoffensive demeanor.