We took some photos of Lefty and Digitalis and the Fry this afternoon.  We planned to start moving the fry because the fry are beginning to pick at their parents.  The fins are getting ragged.  We also caught 11 of the largest Anglefish from the 50 gallon aquarium (which we now believe is a 40 gallon aquarium) and sold them to Tropical Imports.  We got credit towards some food.

Lefty, Digitalis and Fry

Lefty (top), Digitalis and Fry

After catching the 11 fish, there should have been 132 remaining if none died and vanished.  I then added 36 fry from Lefty’s latest brood, bringing the total in the 50 gallon aquarium to 168.  One of the new transfers did not look well and may have been injured in the netting process.

Lefty, Digitalis and Fry

Lefty (top), Digitalis and Fry

Tomorrow I may try to transfer the remaining fry from Lefty’s tank and the largest fry from the nursery aquarium.

Lefty and Fry

Lefty and Fry

update
Yesterday, Boris and Media Luna spawned again on the heater.  I knew this was coming as they got territorial the night before and chased everyone away.  They also were cleaning the heater and the filter intake pipe.  I shot some photos today.  Boris is in the shot with the eggs.  I expect them to hatch tonight or tomorrow morning.  It is very warm in LA right now.

Boris with yesterday's spawn

Boris with yesterday's spawn

I also captured 16 more fry that were in Lefty and Digitalis’ tank.  The young fry are picking at the parents and the fins are beginning to look ragged.  The fry are definitely large enough to move to the grow out aquarium.  Total should be 184 if there have been no casualties.  I caught the final (I think) 9 fry and moved them as well, bringing the total to 193-1.  The 1 was a casualty.  One fish in the aquarium got squashed between the glass wall and the plastic tank.

Update:  More fry moved and Boris and Media Luna spawn again.
Today I moved 8 fry from the nursery aquarium to the grow out aquarium.  These were the biggest fry I could catch.  I need to make room in the nursery aquarium because Boris and Media Luna spawned again a few days ago.  The fry hatched yesterday.  I also noticed that there is at least one fry remaining in the tank with Lefty and Digitalis, but I was unable to catch it and haven’t even seen it again since noticing it this morning.

Later in the day I caught the remaining young fry in Lefty’s aquarium.  There should be 201 fry from various generations and parents in the grow out tank now.

One Response to Some Fry Get Moved; Boris and Media Luna spawn again

1. nihil says:

Awesome. Your angelfish are quite amorous. When our platys would have babies we’d catch them with a turkey baster (with a shortened tip so the opening was wider) maybe you could suck up your little angelfish and avoid injury. Though, if there’s 168 of them then that may be difficult. 😉