What type of butterfly is this?
Dear ‘bugman’,
I believe it is some type of greater fritillary butterfly. I was hoping you could provide further information.
Jack Stewart
Unknown; Either Dallas, Texas or Kansas City, Kansas

Fritillary

Fritillary

Exact Fritillary identification often takes an expert and inspection of the specimen.  It is a greater Fritillary, perhaps Great Spangled Fritillary.  Photo of underside might help.

Thanks for the quick response!  Attached is a picture of the underside.  The specimen is several years old so the colors are probably slightly faded.
Jack

Fritillary

Fritillary

Hi Jack,
Thanks for sending the view of the underside, because now we are certain this is not a Great Spangled Fritillary.  We believe it may be an Aphrodite Fritillary, Speyeria aphrodite.  Again, we want to clarify that we believe a true expert is needed for definitive Fritillary identifications.

Vote in support of our initial identification
Hi Daniel:
Actually, I think you were right the first time. I think it is a Great Spangled Fritillary (Speyeria cybele) because of the reddish base color and wide cream colored band on the underside of the hind wings.  Regards. K

One Response to Fritillary

1. kkroeker says:

Hi Daniel:

Actually, I think you were right the first time. I think it is a Great Spangled Fritillary (Speyeria cybele) because of the reddish base color and wide cream colored band on the underside of the hind wings. Regards. K