Oculea Moth brings friends
I recently submitted a photograph of an ‘unknown’ moth. Your response was immediate! I was thrilled with your response, and quickly went through my recent pictures of ALL the unknown bugs I have been phographing in hopes of someday learning what they all were. The Oculea Moth I spotted has not been seen since the he left, however I have seen two different ones in two days. The reason I am certain they are different ones is due to the fact one was much smaller and pretty ragged looking. I did not take a picture because it was pretty sad. The other one I observed is slightly smaller than the first picture I sent. The picture quality is a little better with some more detail, especially of the antennae, they looked like little leafs.
Montezuma Mom
Lake Montezuma, Arizona

Oculea Moth

Oculea Moth

Dear Montezuma Mom,
Thanks so much for this followup report.  We imagine you are the envy of many collectors right now, and we hope your rustic location isn’t suddenly besieged by trophy seekers.  This gorgeous moth has such a limited range and we are concerned that collecting it might seriously negatively impact its numbers.  This individual is a female, and hopefully she will lay eggs.