Is this a Longhorne Beetle?
This little guy is hanging out on a milkweed plant by my pool. He’s too pretty to smush. Really bright reddish orange with some funky black spots. If he is a longhorne, and he certainly has the antenne for it, what plants will he go for? Right now, I’m happy to leave him be. He can bore into all the milkweed he’d like.
JMR
Pennsylvania

Red Milkweed Beetle

Red Milkweed Beetle

Dear JMR,
The Red Milkweed Beetle, Tetraopes tetrophthalmus, is in fact a Longhorned Borer Beetle and the food plant for both adults and larvae is the Milkweed.
These Red Milkweed Beetles squeak when handled.

3 Responses to Red Milkweed Beetle

1. Bonnie Lausen says:

Should I be trying to get rid of these beetles.. Do they do harm
    to the milkweed so monarchs won’t lay eggs on the leaves??
    I have seen a couple of monarchs this year and would love to
    have them on my milkweed!

To the best of our knowledge, the Red Milkweed Beetle will not deter the Monarchs from laying eggs. We would allow the milkweed ecosystem to survive.

2. Yoshie Pomerville says:

Bonnie and bugman,

I have them abundantly in my back yard on the milkweed plants. They like mature milkweeds and they chew up the leaves. I agree the beetles do not seem to deter the monarchs from laying eggs, but the monarch mothers prefer not to lay eggs on the damaged milkweed leaves. I cut back on the milkweeds that I don’t want them on so the new plant emerge to invite the monarchs to lay eggs.