Huge Mandibles!
This bug was found in my house on my tile floor. I did not want to kill it but was not sure if it was harmful. Its huge mandibles are very intimidating. Right now the temperature gets up to around 100 degrees during day and cools to about around 80 degrees. Weather has been mostly dry recently. I have never seen this type of insect in or around my home.
C.Z.
Odessa, Texas

Ground Beetle:  genus Scarites

Ground Beetle: genus Scarites

Dear C.Z.,
This is a Ground Beetle in the genus Scarites.  According to BugGuide “adults are nocturnal predators on other insects
.”  Like other Ground Beetles, members of the genus Scarites are beneficial insects and should not be harmed if they are found indoors.

6 Responses to Ground Beetle: Genus Scarites

1. Tara weisser says:

I have been seeing several of these things in my house the past couple of days. Lived here for over 9 years and this is the FIRST time I’ve ever seen them. You say don’t harm them. But how do I keep them out of my house? And will they ever try to pinch my animals?

• Liam Smith says:

These beetles should not be considered a threat, as their bites are not medically harmful and they do not usually attempt to make their lives indoors. It may be possible that a few of them happened to get inside and stayed there for the time being because of the high temperatures. They are nothing to worry about and can be dealt with like other relatively harmless insects that are inside a household.

2. Cassie says:

I’m finding at least 3 a day in my basement in Minnesota! This had been going on for over 10 days. How do I get rid of these?

• Brian says:

We’re in Minnesota too and just found one in our unfinished basement last night. It was at least an inch long. Caught it and took it outside. Didn’t seem right to smoosh it. Scary looking but harmless. My wife was not a fan.

3. Debra C says:

I too am from Minnesota and my dog alerted me that she had found something. It was laying on the carpet of my ground floor apartment. It was big (about 1.5″ and had huge pincher jaws. Yikes! I backed off my German Short haired Pointer who was completely intrigued yet very cautious. I scooped it in a couple layers of toilet tissue and carried out to the other side of the lot and put it in the grass under the lot lightpost. It had latched on to the paper and would not let go! I had to tear the corner off the paper off that the bug had gripped it’s giant pincher on to….I dropped it in the grass while it was still gripping the t.p. in its pinchers! Yikes!!! I wonder what if it would of latched on to my curious pups nose? And they say curiosity killed the cat! Ha! So I looked up this mean looking bug only to find out its harmless. It was indeed a big headed ground beetle for sure! First time I’ve ever seen one in my Minnesota home.

4. Ms. T says:

I woke up at 2:30am found one of these crawling on pillow near my head. I fell asleep in the basement felt it crawling where I rested my hand grabbed it turned on the lights and freaked out. Would it have crawled in my ear or nose?