Red Bug with White Spots
June 11, 2009
My son describes these bugs that are outside his apartment building (second to last entry in the website noted below). I usually don’t like bugs but these are very beautiful. They jump on his head and shoulders! You can read more and perhaps see clearer images at the website below.
http://grahamwoodring.com/
Christine
Xi’an China

Unknown Hemipteran from China

Lycorma delictula from China

Hi Christine,
We were out of town when your email arrived, and we never answered hundreds of emails in that time.  We are absolutely fascinated by these unknown Hemipterans, the insect order that includes True Bugs and various Hoppers.  We hope one of our readers will be able to assist in this unusual identification.  We agree that they are quite beautiful.

Unknown Hemipteran from China

Lycorma delictula from China

Update from Eric Eaton
The Chinese leafhopper is likely something in the Fulguroidea, and Lois O’Brien could probably tell you which one.  I think you have gone to her before, right?  Let me know if not and I’ll introduce you via e-mail.

Update from Karl
It looks like Eric Eaton is right again. I haven’t been able to identify the fulgoromorph nymph, but I did come across a photo that looks pretty much identical. The image is from a collection posted by the California Academy of Sciences, taken on a field trip to Yunnan Province. Regards.
Karl

Another Update from Karl
Unknown Chinese Hemipteran
I dug a little deeper and found an interesting story behind this handsome creature.  The species is Lycorma delictula (Family Fulgoridae : Subfamily Aphaeninae) and it has the erroneous common name White Cicada. Originally from southern China, it has been on the move recently and appears to have made quite a nuisance of itself outside of its natural range, particularly on the Korean Peninsula. I even found one reference in a report on China-Korea trade relations where it was referred to as “adding insult to injury”. It makes a living by sucking tree sap. Regards.
Karl