Another Stag Beetle!
THANK YOU for choosing to make the stag beetle your “Beetle of the Month”. Why? Because my wife found one in the bathroom late last night (!), and I had to figure out what it was before either of us could go to bed. Posting an image on your home page made it quick and easy to get back to sleep knowing we didn’t have a martian invader in our home.
Based on some more research, it seems that maybe it’s unusual to find such a creature in NJ–only 12 miles from Manhattan.
Anyway, I didn’t kill the creature. But here is a picture of him trapped in a glass before I let him outside. (Well, first I checked that it wasn’t a poisonous monster.)
Thanks for your hard work on the site. It really was appreciated last night.
Russell Kahn
Montclair, NJ

Reddish Brown Stag Beetle

Reddish Brown Stag Beetle

Hi Russell,
Based on the number of letters we have received with images of the Reddish Brown Stag Beetle, we chose the wrong species as our Bug of the Month.  The Giant Stag Beetle has much more impressive mandibles, but there doesn’t seem to be as many sightings.  We are happy that you were able to identify this close relative based on the image on our homepage.

One Response to Reddish Brown Stag Beetle

1. Carol Gates says:

We found the Reddish Brown Stag Beetle in our backyard rock garden in Chatham, New Jersey. We got a really good look at him/it but didn’t have a cell phone or camera outside with us. It is definitely the same as your picture(s) and had definite curved horns.