What R These?
Hi
These are found on one paticular plant right now which they feed upon and become intimate as well. I’ve included a pic of the plant. The beetles are1/2″ in length at most. I have never seen these in the field that I walk on a regular basis for the past 5 years. Are they new to this area. Thanks
Yeffer
Eastern Ontario Canada

Common Red Soldier Beetles

Common Red Soldier Beetles

Hi Yeffer,
The Common Red Soldier Beetle, Rhagonycha fulva, is, according to BugGuide:  “well-established in British Columbia and Quebec [Pat Bouchard]; recently recorded in Ontario from BugGuide photos … native to Eurasia; introduced to North America some time ago.”  BugGuide also indicates:  “adults feed on small insects that visit flowers larvae feed on snails, slugs, and ground-dwelling insects” and especially interesting, that it is also called Hogweed Bonking Beetle. ”  The Garden Safari website indicates it is because “The Hogweed Bonking Beetle (Rhagonycha fulva) is often seen in copula on plants and flowers.”

Common Red Soldier Beetle

Common Red Soldier Beetle

2 Responses to Hogweed Bonking Beetles: mating and feeding

1. B. Quinn says:

lots of soldier beetles feeding (?) and copulating on cow parsley here in West of Ireland peat soil.

2. Melo Dee says:

Someone must have seen red soldiers bonking on Cow Parsley and thought it was Hog Weed, which looks almost identical, or it actually was Hog Weed. Both weeds grow very tall, but Hog Weed is called Giant Hog Weed, and is toxic in all of its parts, to humans, at least. Maybe the bug feels safe enough to relax and copulate on such a protective plant.