What’s the name of the beetle in my photo
I’ve had this bug body for years but dont know it’s name
beetle bailey
kentucky

Eastern Hercules Beetle

Eastern Hercules Beetle

Dear Beetle Bailey,
This is an Eastern Hercules Beetle, Dynastes tityus.

Daniel, your site is new to me, and it’s really a great site.
Just wanted to say that I didn’t murder this beetle.  I found it’s body on my deck one morning, and was facinated by it and kept it.  That was twenty years ago, and I still have it.  I have never seen another since.  Hope it died of natural causes.  There were no visible injuries, and I don’t have pesticides around.
Thanks for identifying it.

3 Responses to Eastern Hercules Beetle

1. Leah says:

I live in northeast PA and believe i saw this (or something like it) a few years ago. It was…
    1)about three dimes long, same head “crest”
    2) dark (maybe even black) and shiny exoskeleton
    3)found less than 200 yds from a river and less than 100yds from a thicket of woods
    4)found while catching fireflies in about late june/early july
    5)MAD bug, almost hurt my sister when she caught it
    6)made some sort of hissing sound, but might have just rubbed the wire kritter keeper just right

If it was not one of these, can you give me some possible other bugs? My sister has been asking me what it was for years. Thanks!

2. Mario says:

I recently moved to Arizona and one day I was working on a house and found a dead centipede that was about 4 inches long. I noticed that it had a stinger like the one on a scorpion. I thought they were common but I have not even been able to find one online. Does such bug exist or was this some kind of mutation?