small bug, with yellow stripes
do you know what kind of bug this is, and is it poisonous?
Joyce
northeastern Pennsylvania

Lady Beetle Larva

Lady Beetle Larva

Hi Joyce,
In recent weeks, we have had countless requests for the identification of Lady Beetle Larvae, the immature form of Ladybugs, but since out computer was so slow, we did not post any, nor could we take the time to respond personally.  Our fast new computer is allowing us to address ever so many more identification requests.  The larvae of the Lady Beetle is not poisonous.  They are predators of plant feeding insects like aphids, and we have gotten reports of people being bitten by larval Lady Beetles, but the bite is just a harmless nip.

15 Responses to Lady Beetle Larva

1. nedved says:

This is larva of invasive Harmonia axyridis. Of course, it IS poisonous. For ants and other small creatures. Try to put it on you tongue, close your mouth but do not chew. You will feel the bitter taste of alkaloids.

2. sophie says:

hi I was wondering where this beetle originally comes from as I have never seen one in the UK before and was curious as I seen it eating a small green spider

• Lia says:

Hii i just saw this comment and i had the urge to reply! I live in the uk and actually found one today! i put it in this container (with air holes) and its moving xDD But yeah it can bite but yeah xDD Its really cute but kinda scary.

3. Lisa Zirkle says:

I have been bitten x 2 by this larva! The bite is painful and close to a bee sting but doesn’t last as long. It leaves a pretty big bright red sore and takes a couple of weeks to heal. They are vicious!

I live in Northern CA

4. Alexis says:

Lady Beetle larvae is much like the native species found through the United States. They are small, hemispherical in shape, and can be found with and without spots. Their colors may vary from black, and orange to a dull cream. However, unlike the native species, this lady beetle larvae can be quite aggressive. Masses of lady beetle larvae have been known to swarm and even bite when seeking shelter for the winter months. In this regard, they have been an unwelcome guest for homeowners that don’t find them to be good luck at all, but rather a nuisance.

Sighned:Alexis

5. Sarah says:

I was bitten by a tiny one today on my hand ( about the size of a sesame seed). I definetly noticed! Wouldn’t want a bigger one to bite. It stung, but didn’t leave a mark. Not going to lie, I smushed it! It was tiny, but creepy and it was biting me.

6. Kendra says:

Those bites hurt like the dickens

7. Maggie pavey says:

I have found about a dozen in my garden and want to get rid of then they seem to be doing damage to flower buds I have used a bug spray but am still finding them

8. Brian says:

I started looking into this since I saw that my parent’s cherry tree is not giving any fruit this year. Notice there is some plague and saw these little critter on the leaves. At first I thought they were the plagues, as I read more I found out they are eating the aphids eggs, is this a correct statement?
    Also, are the cannibalistic when there is lack of food? I saw a smaller larvae run into a bigger one, the big one clamped on the small one and started eating from the looks of it. A second one stopped by a little later and joined the feast.

9. Renee says:

I have a ton of them in my tree and all over my front porch. Do I just leave them alone and let them do their thing?

10. Nick says:

I was bitten a couple days ago by what I believe to be this lady bug larvae. There is no bite mark or redness but the area around it is still numb. I can understand a bite to cause paralysis in another small insect but my thigh has been numb for a couple days now following bite. Should I worry?