Green Shell Bug
May 27, 2009,
The Green shell bug has very small brown legs and an almost nonexistent face. I found it near our front door by the dog kennel. We are in Northwestern Virginia. If the bug is on it’s back it can’t make it’s self upright again and it doesn’t appear to have wings. It measured as 1 1/2 cm long, it’s legs are sticky.
What bug is this, my girls ages 8 and 6years would love to know.
Nancy
Northwestern Virginia

Dog Tick

Dog Tick

Dear Nancy,
First, we apologize for the six week delay.  Our fast new computer is allowing us to answer so much more than before.  We are going to try to select one letter a day from our oldest archived requests in an attempt to provide a service to our readership.  Now the bad news.  This is a Dog Tick.  It looks to be engorged with blood.  Ticks can carry diseases.

3 Responses to Dog Tick

1. BugHater says:

Please some one tell me what this bug is, the picture is included. I keep finding these things near my window, and in the carpet. Most times I find them dead, but I don’t know where they are coming from, or what they are.

HELP! I hate bugs… I found one on my hand one time, and it freaked me out!

2. BugHater says:

I have a picture but I don’t know how to post it. Sorry.

There is a different submission form for posting images. Go to Ask What’s That Bug? and do not check comment, but fill in the information and attach the image.